Chronic diseases are the major cause of death and disability worldwide
• In Malaysia, chronic diseases accounted for 71% of all deaths in 2002 (see chart, right).
▪ Total deaths in Malaysia, 2002 = 119,000.
▪ Total deaths related to chronic disease in Malaysia, 2002 = 85,000.
Projected prevalence of overweight, Malaysia, males and females aged 30 years or more, 2005 and 2015
• Raised body mass index (overweight and obesity) is an important cause of chronic disease.
• Prevalence of overweight in Malaysia is expected to increase in women over the next 10 years, but remain relatively constant in men (see charts, left).
• At least 80% of premature heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes, and 40% of cancer could be prevented through healthy diet, regular physical activity and avoidance of tobacco products.
• Cost-effective interventions exist, and have worked in many countries: the most successful strategies have employed a range of populationwide approaches combined with interventions for individuals.
Leave a reply →